Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Best of 2008-Books

A reminder before the orchestra starts the drumrolls-these best of are based solely on what I've read/watched/listened to and may not even all be 2008 releases. Lots of bestsellers will be missing from my lists and not just because I no longer work in books.


To the list:


Which Brings Me to You-Steve Almond & Julianna Baggott


A novel written by two authors, each telling half of a romance. A couple meet at a wedding, don't have sex in the coat closet and instead decide to write letters-old school letters-laying it all on the line, explaining how they each got there. I know, I know but trust me, the writing far outweighs its cutesy gimmick premise. I checked this out from the library and now reread the opening wedding chapter every time I go back.

50 to 1-Charles Ardai


The fiftith book in the Hard Case Crime series also has a seemingly gimmicky premise that, in series editor Ardai's skilled hands, turns into a terrific read. He wrote the fiftith book with fifty chapters, each with the name of one of the books in the series in the order they were published. Talk about a tall order. But it works and is a rollickingly good ride. Reading this sent me to the library for the rest of the series-they are all worth looking up.



Wicked City-Ace Atkins


A down and dirty, way up close look at the steamy, seamy underbelly of the so called "wickedest city in America". Atkins spares nothing in this one.


Girls in Trucks-Katie Crouch


The elevator pitch for this one would be The Girl's Guide to Hunting and Fishing with Southern belles. Each story builds on the next so beautifully the reader is left convinced that a novel in short stories is the only way to tell this story.



Mudbound-Hillary Jordan



A Southern story frequently compared to To Kill a Moockingbird but which smacks more of Faulkner to me than Lee.



Secret of Lost Things-Sheridan Hay

A story of a stranger in a strange land who ends up working in a bookstore, I read this one as I was adjusting after my move is it any wonder I loved it? Read it too, and feel less lost yourself.



The Given Day-Dennis Lahane

A big sprawling historical book that trumpets, very loudly, 'hello I'm not just a genre writer' in the best possible way. I loved the small historic details, like the Babe Ruth bits, that make you imagine Lahane jumping up from his desk and shouting "eureka!"



Hardly Knew Her-Laura Lippman

Very few authors are as equally good at short stories and novels. Oates, Vonnegut come to mind but few others. To that you can add Laura Lippman and for proof you can hold up this book. Funny, dark, darker-the stories come in all shapes and colors but all amply speak to her abilities.



Tethered-Amy MacKinnon

A great dark debut that combines medical mystery, personal demons and the funeral home business for a potent read. It also had one of my favorite covers of the year.

The Turnaround-George Pelecanos

Yeah, he's my fave (I cop to that early and often) but I was dismayed to find this missing from all the other year end 'Best of' lists and to think when the Pelecanos canon is considered that this one will likely be relegated to 'lesser' status. I think this one confident and full of heart and believe it shouldn't be discounted.



Field of Darkness-Cornelia Read

If you've ever read a Tess Monahan novel and wished the rich BFF, Whitney, had her own book then Cornelia Read is for you. Her former debutant turned amateur detective is a terrific creation, one who the reader is glad to ride along with.

Northline-Willy Vlautin

I've written about this one elsewhere and so won't repeat myself except to say that if you have not read it you should.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Web Site Counters