Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Egads! It's High School All Over Again

So last week I had a friend over and we were in my living room bonding over our mutual love of Keith Olbermann and Rachel Maddow (yeah, their political beliefs dovetail nicely with my own for the most part but I also think they're just really good writers and TV personalites) when I heard a knock on the door across the hall. So, curious me, I looked out through the peephole and saw one of my neighbors from upstairs-a blonde former sorority girl 'I have a dolphin tattoo' type. She was in what I assume were sleep clothes, determinedly knocking away. Then another neighbor came in from outside. They apparently know each other and began chatting away, first about the neighbor whose door they were continually knocking on (the apartments aren't that big, I'm pretty sure he wasn't home) then about me! The second one asked the first if she had met me and the first one shook her head dismissively then said something low that made them both laugh.

?! Dissed in front of my own door by two people I've never even spoken to based solely on my observed comings and goings..yeah, feels a lot like high school.

The high school feeling was increased by my inability to find another person to go with me to the DBT show next week. I bought 2 tickets with confidence that in my music loving crowd I'd be able to find someone to go with, no problem. Unfortunately, that has proven not to be the case which is causing serious prom flashbacks. See, at my school you paid on your prom tickets all year long and at the beginning of the year I had a boyfriend, at the end I did not. And I couldn't scare up a friend to go with, even my brother said no. So, I went to prom stag cause I wasn't not going to go. And it's not like I'm not going to go to the show cause I'll have to go by myself-at this point if I waited for accompaniment to do something I wouldn't get out much. It's just making me think about high school, which, when you're 40, is not much fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Web Site Counters