Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Doing the Job Right

I can cross one more off the list. In my continuing life quest to visit every Thoroughbred track in North America, Turfway Park is done. How I missed this one-in Florence, Kentucky it's just an hour away from Louisville-I don't know.

Turfway has a modest physical plant, though I'm sure it's more dressed up on Lane's End Stakes or Kentucky Cup days as opposed to a nonstakes Sunday in September. I liked that about it though. The paddock empties out into the crowd by the rail so you're as likely to walk elbow to elbow with a trainer or jockey as another race fan. The small setting makes the people watching even easier and the boot cleaners by each door leading into the grandstand reminds you of what's most important-the horses. I also liked hearing Mike Battagalia call again-he was the race announcer at Churchill Downs for years so it was like going back in time for me.

But what stuck with me most about Turfway was my pick in the fourth race, Sweet Strawberry, whose win kept me only down $4 for the day. As he came into the paddock his mane and tail were braided and he was looking his best. For those who haven't done it braiding a horse's mane and tail is a time consuming task that can take hours and I was impressed that the groom would take the time for a $7000 claimer in Race 4 on a nonstakes Sunday. It said to me that groom cares both about his job and his horse. It says he thinks, as I do, there's a right way to do a job and he chooses to do it that way. And in these cynical times I think I was as glad to see that as I was to cash a winning ticket.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Web Site Counters