Wednesday, April 08, 2009

It is National Poetry Month After All


When Lilacs Last in the Dooryard Bloom'd


1.When lilacs last in the dooryard bloom'd,
And the great star early droop'd in the western sky in the night,
I mourn'd and yet shall mourn with ever-returning spring.
Ever-returning spring, trinity sure to me you bring,
Lilac blooming perennial and drooping star in the west,
And thought of him I love.

3. In the dooryard fronting an old farm-house near the white-wash'd palings,
Stands the lilac bush tall-growing with heart-shaped leaves of rich green,
With many a pointed blossom rising delicate, with perfume strong I love,
With every leaf a miracle-and from this bush in the dooryard,
With delicate-color'd blossoms and heart-shaped leaves of rich green,
A sprig with its flower I break."
-walt whitman

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Web Site Counters